Safe Senior Chat Rooms Online & Over 50s Chatting Site Forums Book Club The Best Book You Have Ever Read…

• The Best Book You Have Ever Read…

Danerys updated 4 months, 1 week ago 52 Members · 58 Posts
  • Rob 

June 22, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Just thought I’d kick this off by asking you what the best book you ever read was? Please tell the group, and why you liked said book so much…

• marie41 

June 24, 2011 at 8:28 am

My favorite book’s are my Diana Gabaldon who I just read last year. She wrote a series of 7 book’s and the first one is Outlander and she is writing the 8th book which is supose to be the last one in the series. It is a book that is set in 1945 and the main character Claire Randall goes thru rocks in Inverness, Scotland back in time to 1743 where she meets a highlander James Frazer and marry’s him so he can keep her safe from the English who want to do harm to her . The story is also about there love for one another wihich has gone from 1743 to 1746when she returns back thru the rocks to Inverness, to 1948. Then 20 years later she goes back to Inverness from Boston where she lives and has become a DR. to take her daughter who she was pregnant with when she left James and went back thru the rocks to her husband Frank. Frank has died and that is why she takes her daughter back to Scotland to find out if her husband was killed in a was between Scotland and England and finds that he didn’t and so she decides to go thru the rock’s and find him . The story of their relationship continues thru the rest of the books and now am waiting for the 8th book to be published and see what happen’s to Claire and James Frazer.

• tessa 

June 26, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I enjoyed the Gabaldon books too, a bit mushy in some parts but very good over all, the historical fiction is a favorite with me and then that bit about time travel hooks me every time! lol

• jenna 

June 27, 2011 at 4:14 am

Solo, “Not without my Daughter” was one of the best books I have read as well.

• maria 

June 27, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I don’t have the time to read as much as I would like, but I recently finished “The Help” a book about black maids in the 1950’s. I went through every emotion while reading it and don’t want to give too much away by saying too much. I would highly recommend the book to anyone who is the least bit interested in what really went on during that time in American history.
    My favorite books of all time ….. J.R.R. Tolkeins, “Lord of the Rings”.

• Anonymous

June 27, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Three Men in a boat by Jerome K Jerome. Hilarious!!

• Anonymous

June 28, 2011 at 6:45 am

You all have great taste in books! I’ve lots of favourites-I read the ”Eagle of the Ninth’ by Rosemary Sutcliffe when I was a kid and that started me off on a love of history which grew for all my life.’The Dark is Rising’ by Susan Cooper is another kids book, magical and scary. I agree ‘The Help’ is moving and lets you know what was happening in the USA not too long ago. Mitch Albom’s ‘The Five People You Meet in Heaven’ is very warm and moving and really makes you think. All books by Phillippa Gregory are well written and historically correct, if you like history and of course Tolkien is magic!

• nmod 

June 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm

the book that left me the deepest impression it’s THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME…that was a marathon read as I could not put that book down…it’s so well written …it simply transported me into the story …and I was there with Quasimodo ringing the bells of Notre Dame…and with Esmeralda dancing a the square
    I could (in my head) hear the sound of the tambourines ….I’ve felt the coldness of the dangeon…the passion of the lovers…the sadness of the mother…and so on…from start to finish…I’ve found this book so intense…passionate…gruesome….inspiring…

• Anonymous

June 28, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I tried navigating this page and it went dead. My favorite book has got to be Kenneth Roberts NORTHWEST PASSAGE. Read it cover to cover in 14 hours. It lit the fire in me for history. All history. I also love Edward Rutherford of the UK. And Ken Follet’s PILLARS OF THE EARTH.

• marie41 

June 29, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I hope that HBO or Showtime will make a movie of the Oulander book’s and sure don’t know what actor could play Jamie but he has to be from Scotland and have red hair and I can’t think of anyone at the moment who could the part of James Frazer or even Claire Randall . I have watched all the utube video’s that people have made and they use Gerald Butler in alot of them but he is 40 and don’ think he could play Jamie at 23 . So hope one day they will come out with a movie on all the book’s and do them on HBO or Showtime.

• JoyElaine 

November 28, 2020 at 3:21 am

I have been watching Outlander on HBO and Starz. I am waiting for the next season to come out. That is one of my favorite series.

• jcb1 

July 2, 2011 at 8:27 pm

do you know everyone i have never read a book from beginning to end in my life!! disgraceful i know!!

• gregcar22 

July 3, 2011 at 4:47 am

I’ve read many good books, so it’s hard to pick a favorite, but some would be: Tuesdays With Morrie, Bridge to Terabithia, Grapes of Wrath, On Mice and Men.
    Tuesdays With Morrie is a true story about a man dying and his conversations with a former student. The student learns not only about dying, but a lot about living.
    Bridge to Terabithia is a wonderful book for junior high age students (I used to teach), but adults love this book as well. A beautiful story about a boy and girl who enter into their imaginary world, enjoying a fantastic friendship but also face difficult realities.
    Grapes of Wrath – The author manages to actually feel the pain and hopelessness of a family’s struggles in difficult economic times during the Great Depression. True, the book is depressing, but that is what makes the book such an outstanding writing. The author draws you so deeply into the story that you actually feel as if you are with the characters.
    On Mice and Men: Another story about the struggles of the main characters to make a living. One brother must care for his mentally challenged brother who is an extremely powerful man physically, but his mental abilities are the opposite extreme. A powerful story!

• george51 

July 5, 2011 at 5:27 am

My favourite fiction book is From Here to Eternity by James Jones. The movie does it no justice at all. However the mini-series of the late ’70’s was fairly accurate. An excellent story about people. There emotions, weaknesses and strengths, and above all the sheer determination of the main character. Someone who stood up for his principles, in the face of so much opposition. A guy who did not take the easy way out, when it was available. A marvellous book with so many different, strong characters. It is a long book, but worth reading just for the very poignant ending.

My favourite non-fiction book is A Bright Shining Lie, by Neil Sheehan. On the cover of my copy is an endorsement by John Le Carre. He says something like, “if you only every read one book about the Vietnam War, read this one..” He was right. It really is good. Centred mainly around one character, it gives him to you, warts and all. A very tough, if not quite so nice person. But very real.

• pollie 

July 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm

not read any recently but i really like P.S. I love you and also the film was good!! the book was better though!! I also read years ago that sticks in my mind something like… a boy called IT…I think it was called that, that was really good.

• easyguy 

July 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

just read the Jean.m. Auel series, earths children. great books of the transition of stone age to what we call modern people. brilliant stories all. well writen and can almost see prehistoric land scapes and wild life.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 57 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Chat Rooms

Request Friendships from Our Latest Chatters
Add a photo to your profile to be shown in our latest Chattters gallery

Latest Chatters

Click the X to close your Dashboard.  To relaunch navigate away from the page you’re on before clicking the link again