Safe Senior Chat Rooms Online & Over 50s Chatting Site Forums Book Club The Best Book You Have Ever Read…

• The Best Book You Have Ever Read…

sandraatkins2 updated 3 weeks, 1 day ago 52Members · 69 Posts
  • Rob

June 22, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Just thought I’d kick this off by asking you what the best book you ever read was? Please tell the group, and why you liked said book so much…

• marie41

June 24, 2011 at 8:28 am

My favorite book’s are my Diana Gabaldon who I just read last year. She wrote a series of 7 book’s and the first one is Outlander and she is writing the 8th book which is supose to be the last one in the series. It is a book that is set in 1945 and the main character Claire Randall goes thru rocks in Inverness, Scotland back in time to 1743 where she meets a highlander James Frazer and marry’s him so he can keep her safe from the English who want to do harm to her . The story is also about there love for one another wihich has gone from 1743 to 1746when she returns back thru the rocks to Inverness, to 1948. Then 20 years later she goes back to Inverness from Boston where she lives and has become a DR. to take her daughter who she was pregnant with when she left James and went back thru the rocks to her husband Frank. Frank has died and that is why she takes her daughter back to Scotland to find out if her husband was killed in a was between Scotland and England and finds that he didn’t and so she decides to go thru the rock’s and find him . The story of their relationship continues thru the rest of the books and now am waiting for the 8th book to be published and see what happen’s to Claire and James Frazer.

• anonymous

June 24, 2011 at 9:41 am

One of the best books I ever read was called ‘Not without my daughter’. A true life story of a woman who married a Iranian Doctor in America and after being talked into going to Iran, (supposedly for a short holiday) took their daughter to meet her grandparents. The husband lied to his wife and had no intention of bring her or her daughter back to the US and eventually held her as a captive. After a time she befriended a shopkeeper who organized for her and her daughter to escape Iran but she had to travel over the treacherous mountains into Turkey, and then get herself into the US Embassy before she was totally safe. The Mother then went on to travel the world talking to women on the risks of marrying men from other cultures.

• tessa

June 26, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I enjoyed the Gabaldon books too, a bit mushy in some parts but very good over all, the historical fiction is a favorite with me and then that bit about time travel hooks me every time! lol

• jenna

June 27, 2011 at 4:14 am

Solo, “Not without my Daughter” was one of the best books I have read as well.

• maria

June 27, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I don’t have the time to read as much as I would like, but I recently finished “The Help” a book about black maids in the 1950’s. I went through every emotion while reading it and don’t want to give too much away by saying too much. I would highly recommend the book to anyone who is the least bit interested in what really went on during that time in American history.
    My favorite books of all time ….. J.R.R. Tolkeins, “Lord of the Rings”.

• Anonymous

June 27, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Three Men in a boat by Jerome K Jerome. Hilarious!!

• Anonymous

June 28, 2011 at 6:45 am

You all have great taste in books! I’ve lots of favourites-I read the ”Eagle of the Ninth’ by Rosemary Sutcliffe when I was a kid and that started me off on a love of history which grew for all my life.’The Dark is Rising’ by Susan Cooper is another kids book, magical and scary. I agree ‘The Help’ is moving and lets you know what was happening in the USA not too long ago. Mitch Albom’s ‘The Five People You Meet in Heaven’ is very warm and moving and really makes you think. All books by Phillippa Gregory are well written and historically correct, if you like history and of course Tolkien is magic!

• nmod

June 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm

the book that left me the deepest impression it’s THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME…that was a marathon read as I could not put that book down…it’s so well written …it simply transported me into the story …and I was there with Quasimodo ringing the bells of Notre Dame…and with Esmeralda dancing a the square
    I could (in my head) hear the sound of the tambourines ….I’ve felt the coldness of the dangeon…the passion of the lovers…the sadness of the mother…and so on…from start to finish…I’ve found this book so intense…passionate…gruesome….inspiring…

• Anonymous

June 28, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I tried navigating this page and it went dead. My favorite book has got to be Kenneth Roberts NORTHWEST PASSAGE. Read it cover to cover in 14 hours. It lit the fire in me for history. All history. I also love Edward Rutherford of the UK. And Ken Follet’s PILLARS OF THE EARTH.

• marie41

June 29, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I hope that HBO or Showtime will make a movie of the Oulander book’s and sure don’t know what actor could play Jamie but he has to be from Scotland and have red hair and I can’t think of anyone at the moment who could the part of James Frazer or even Claire Randall . I have watched all the utube video’s that people have made and they use Gerald Butler in alot of them but he is 40 and don’ think he could play Jamie at 23 . So hope one day they will come out with a movie on all the book’s and do them on HBO or Showtime.

• JoyElaine

November 28, 2020 at 3:21 am

I have been watching Outlander on HBO and Starz. I am waiting for the next season to come out. That is one of my favorite series.

• jcb1

July 2, 2011 at 8:27 pm

do you know everyone i have never read a book from beginning to end in my life!! disgraceful i know!!

• gregcar22

July 3, 2011 at 4:47 am

I’ve read many good books, so it’s hard to pick a favorite, but some would be: Tuesdays With Morrie, Bridge to Terabithia, Grapes of Wrath, On Mice and Men.
    Tuesdays With Morrie is a true story about a man dying and his conversations with a former student. The student learns not only about dying, but a lot about living.
    Bridge to Terabithia is a wonderful book for junior high age students (I used to teach), but adults love this book as well. A beautiful story about a boy and girl who enter into their imaginary world, enjoying a fantastic friendship but also face difficult realities.
    Grapes of Wrath – The author manages to actually feel the pain and hopelessness of a family’s struggles in difficult economic times during the Great Depression. True, the book is depressing, but that is what makes the book such an outstanding writing. The author draws you so deeply into the story that you actually feel as if you are with the characters.
    On Mice and Men: Another story about the struggles of the main characters to make a living. One brother must care for his mentally challenged brother who is an extremely powerful man physically, but his mental abilities are the opposite extreme. A powerful story!

• george51

July 5, 2011 at 5:27 am

My favourite fiction book is From Here to Eternity by James Jones. The movie does it no justice at all. However the mini-series of the late ’70’s was fairly accurate. An excellent story about people. There emotions, weaknesses and strengths, and above all the sheer determination of the main character. Someone who stood up for his principles, in the face of so much opposition. A guy who did not take the easy way out, when it was available. A marvellous book with so many different, strong characters. It is a long book, but worth reading just for the very poignant ending.

My favourite non-fiction book is A Bright Shining Lie, by Neil Sheehan. On the cover of my copy is an endorsement by John Le Carre. He says something like, “if you only every read one book about the Vietnam War, read this one..” He was right. It really is good. Centred mainly around one character, it gives him to you, warts and all. A very tough, if not quite so nice person. But very real.

• pollie

July 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm

not read any recently but i really like P.S. I love you and also the film was good!! the book was better though!! I also read years ago that sticks in my mind something like… a boy called IT…I think it was called that, that was really good.

• easyguy

July 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

just read the Jean.m. Auel series, earths children. great books of the transition of stone age to what we call modern people. brilliant stories all. well writen and can almost see prehistoric land scapes and wild life.

• noelle

July 11, 2011 at 12:17 am

I am an avid reader and keep a computer log of all the books I’ve read. I rate each book on a scale of one to ten. I keep separate logs for fiction and non-fiction. In my fiction log I have two benchmark novels (meaning they are the only ones to receive a ten rating from me). They are “Gone With the Wind” and “The Thornbirds.” Khaled Hosseini’s “A Thousand Splendid Suns” got a 9.5. Awesome story!
    My benchmark books in the non-fiction category are all those written by David McCullough (so far he hasn’t written a bad book).

I keep the log because I found myself buying a book, taking it home, reading the first page and thinking…”I’ve already read this!” The log saves me time and of course money!

• zero

July 15, 2011 at 1:39 am

I cannot say that there was a single best book but I can say I have read many very good ones. What I offer today is for any murder mystery fans. These were written in the 18th century in China and translated by Robert Van Gulik. They are titled Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee and the Haunted Monastery and the Chinese Maze Murders. They differ from our own genera in a few ways, not the least of which is that the cases are followed from the complaint thru the investigantion and trial ending only when sentence is carried out. In one case where complaint is brought there is in fact no murder at all. It is also a nice look into the Chinese culture of the period.

• Anonymous

August 10, 2011 at 5:35 am

I am mostly into whodunits especially those by Dan Brown, Jeffery Deaver, David Baldacci, Joseph Finder, et al. Lately, I’ve been into Nelson Demille, and I just finished his The Talbot Odyssey. Great spy thriller, too, about the USSR plotting to put one on the US by launching a nuclear blast in one of its satellites to create an electromagnetic pulse that would destroy all electrical and electronic gadgets like computers, TV, communication networks, appliances, even digital watches.

• Anonymous

August 11, 2011 at 12:23 am

The best book I ever read was “The Shack”. I think “The Help” is a good second. I love mysteries, and period type books. Patterson is one of my favorites. And, Janet Bogdonovich Stephanie Plum novels are a real hoot. They make me laugh out loud. Just waiting for her next one.

• Anonymous

August 13, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Never Let Me Go…by Kazuo Ishiguro

• Anonymous

November 5, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I enjoy reading any good book but “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” by Betty Smith has to be my all time favourite. I first read it when I was 12 years old and I laughed and cried through the entire book. I decided, when I was older, to read it again, doubting that it would touch me in the same way, but surprisingly….I still laughed and cried through the book.

• mart31

November 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Until recently I would have been hard put to select any one title. Then I discovered the “Millenium Trilogy” by Stieg Larsonn. I have just started on “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” for the third time. Completely addictive. The films are brilliant too. A great pity that the author died but I understand that another work has been discovered in his PC. Lets hope so.

• Anonymous

January 23, 2012 at 4:09 am

You all make me want to read your books! What wonderful suggestions!. Would have to add “To Kill A Mocking bird” by Harper Lee, Powerful.

• Anonymous

January 30, 2012 at 5:26 am

I have to sort by topic.
    Financial history – God & Gold
    Fiction – 1984
    Fantasy – tie, lord of the rings, a song of fire and ice
    History – John Adams

• Anonymous

January 30, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Fantasy – it’s got to be Lord of the Rings
    Crime – anything by Jeffrey Deaver, Michael Connelly or J D Robb

• lolomeowsie

February 5, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Oh, Maize, Phillippa Gregory’s books are special favorites of mine, too.
    She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb.
    Anna Karenina.
    Grimms Fairy Tales!

• Anonymous

February 8, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Think I’d have to say my favourites are both by Robert James Waller

Bridges of Madison County & A Thousand Country Roads

• Anonymous

February 11, 2012 at 3:59 pm

We Need To Talk About Kevin (Lionel Shriver) – an excellent but disturbing read!
    Most moving book has to be Birdsong (Sebastian Faulks)
    I’m currently reading The Help (Kethryn Stockett) – wonderful!

• Anonymous

February 14, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Hi all, am new to all this – i bought We Need To Talk About Kevin after watching Lionel Shriver (who is actually a lady using a mans name) was interviewed. When it arrived I was put off by the size of it and have placed it on hold. I have heard it is now a film – anyone know. Anyway my favourite book of all time is Kite Runner, followed by A Thousand Splendid Suns, both written by Khaled Hosseini.

• Anonymous

February 16, 2012 at 10:00 am

Hello readers, have almost finished reading ONE DAY by David Nicholls. Not one to read fiction, more into biographies/auto biographies, but was quite impressed that it had 1290 reviews on Amazon. The DVD is now available to buy and I have just watched the preview, which looks quite true to the book, but was surprised that Anne Hathaway was chosen to portray the main character. Jim Sturges played Dexter. I must say that i have never read a book where the reader feels so intimately familiar with the characters, so when its about to end, and with sadness you find yourself quite moved. I feel as if these two characters are people I grew up with, and knew closely. David Nicholls has also written STARTER FOR TEN, and THE UNDERSTUDY. Has anyone read any of these two books, if so I would love to hear from you.
    I also bought THE TIME TRAVELLERS WIFE, for the same reason, huge reviews, but watched the movie prior to reading the book and now have lost interest – as its very thick.
    Love to hear from other readers, best wishes, Misty

• Anonymous

March 15, 2012 at 7:57 pm

would love to join The Book Club sounds very interesting. Thank you Raeken

• anonymous

March 27, 2012 at 1:48 am

Lots of interesting books listed here. I guess I enjoy an entirely different genre…I do enjoy young adult (YA) novels. I always wanted to write (never could get past the first four chapters of any WIP) and targeted YAs. Some of my favorites are, of course, the Harry Potter series, The Hunger Games series, and I also enjoy Rachel Caine. Away from YA, I enjoy so many different authors…it is hard to pick any one book. However, if you look at books I’ve read over and over again, Stephen King’s The Stand is one that stands out.

• Anonymous

April 3, 2012 at 7:58 am

Wilbur Smith, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and John Grisham are amongst my favourite authors. I have read thousands of books and once went on a walking trip around Europe where I did nothing but walk and read, and got through a book nearly every day. I have all my books on my laptop in case you are wondering how I carried them. The last time I checked I had about 6 thousand of them, admittedly I will never get through them all and I have never heard of most of the authors but it is good to have a choice. I am a great fan of the talking book and have a great collection of those as well.

• Anonymous

April 8, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I a bookaholick. I had a date with a man a few years ago, who told me he’s never read a book in his life and I thought hell no, we wont get along. I have allways had a soft spot for TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD. Some of the best books are those that are seen through the eyes of children.

• Anonymous

April 8, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Never got round to reading “To kill a mocking bird”, the title never appealed to me and I had no idea what it was about. I recently saw the film which has been in my collection for years and it was brilliant, if the book is half as good then it must be a good read. I have put it on my list to read this summer.

• lolomeowsie

April 9, 2012 at 2:13 am

Gregory Peck seemed to have high standards when it came to choosing scripts.

• Anonymous

April 11, 2012 at 3:43 am

I would agree with the choice of “The Millennium Trilogy” by Stieg Larsson as being a very good read (if poorly translated in parts). I personally am a fan of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series for its humour at parodying our world. Similarly, I enjoy Jasper Fforde’s “Thursday Next” series where he delve’s into literary fiction as his setting for his books. A more recent novel to my liking was “The Night Circus” by Erin Morgenstern. It’s a very unusual story but beautifully written. For those who like a novel with body to it…try “1Q84” by Haruki Murakami. Again, another unusual story that is well written. It is a spin on “1984” but with more twists.

• Anonymous

May 12, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I know this topic is old but I just had to post the best book I ever read. It is not Pulitzer prize winning but it was so engrossing I could not put it down. In fact, I read the book cover to cover in one day (late into the night too). The name of the book was “Follow The River” by Alexander Thom. It entails the story of a white American woman settler named Mary Engles in the 1700’s.
    Mary was twenty-three year old, happily married, and pregnant with her third child when Shawnee Indians invaded her peaceful Virginia settlement in 1755 and kidnapped her, leaving behind a bloody massacre. For months, they held her captive until she and another captive escape following the river back to her home. The details of the trip and her hardships along the way made it an exciting read.

• Anonymous

May 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Like the sound of ” Follow the river” is it available on Kindle ?

• Anonymous

May 13, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Hi ccft! Yes “Follow The River” is available on Amazon in the kindle version. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.

• Anonymous

June 20, 2012 at 9:32 am

My favorite book is “The Good Earth” by Pearl Buck. I must read this book at least every 2 years.
    Here is a summary of the book. Altho set in China, its family and travails are universal.
    “The Good Earth is the saga of Wang Lung, who is a poor farmer dependent on the land for his survival, and his extended family. The novel begins with this complex character as a young man when he marries a slave girl, and then follows him as he grows into a man with a family and wealth beyond his imaginings. Wang Lung is a man with a compassionate heart. I was touched by the love of his children, especially that of his developmentally delayed oldest daughter who he calls “the poor fool.” In one scene, the family is faced with starvation and Wang Lung gives up his own food for his daughter…something that would have been highly unusual at that time in China.”

• anonymous

June 22, 2012 at 3:59 pm

For the last 30 years Ive been reading the ‘Earths Children’ series of books by Jean M Auel. The research that must have gone into them is unbelievable! Its been a long wait between books (years in fact,) but when i got to the end of the last in the series I could have cried with disappointment. It left so many questions from the previous books unanswered and as far as I know there wont be any more books…..very sad but I still enjoyed them!

• dodo1

July 17, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I think the best book iv read is flowers in the attic true story very harrowing

• Anonymous

August 28, 2012 at 4:26 am

memnoc the devil by anne rice, Anne really has a knack to make you stop and think about life, i love all her prechristian books, she an absolute great writer, next to stephan king, dean koontz, jack ketcham, edward lee and john saul.

• Anonymous

September 28, 2012 at 10:31 am

reading through these posts reminded me of some great books such as the ‘Earths Children’ series of books by Jean M Auel, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and A Boy Called IT. These are some of my favourites too. I also liked (among too many to name..), What Dreams May Come, a.novel by Richard Matheson. The plot centers on Chris, a man who dies and goes to Heaven, but eventually descends into hell to search for his wife.
    I am definitely going to look up Diana Gabaldon books (annemarie) they sound great 🙂

• Anonymous

October 9, 2012 at 11:04 am

asking me to choose a favourite book is a bit like asking to choose a favourite child. but there are many books I can return to and reread with great pleasure. I think Harper Lee’s To kill a mockingbird is an amazing book and Rebecca by daphne Du Maurier, actually there is too many but atm I am reading a true story Dont Tell Mummy by Toni Maguire which is both rivetting and harrowing I would recommend it.

• anonymous

December 23, 2013 at 2:39 pm

The best book I have ever read is The Lord of The Rings by J R R Tolkien. It is a masterpiece. I love the movie/s too. 🙂

• anonymous

December 26, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Hi all.
    The Christmas Train by David Baldacci. Not the best I have read but a very good read non the less. Follow a train journey from New York to Chicago and then on to LA. The characters a a bit Agatha Christie but well drawn

• Anonymous

December 28, 2013 at 5:55 am

the best book i ever read, was “a day in the life of Ivan Dysonevitch ” A STORY BY SOLCHENITZEN, this author was such a brilliant writer he wrote a whole book on one day in the life of a political prisoner incarcerated in Russia, how he managed to fill a whole book ,with such an interesting gripping true story ,was astonishing, I read it years ago , and never forgot it , the author ,or the title.
    This author was the instigator that led me to try and become an author.

• anonymous

December 30, 2013 at 5:43 pm

love The Book Thief and The Gargoyle. Best books ever for me are The Great Gatsby and Brideshead Revisited.

• anonymous

January 1, 2014 at 10:43 am

I enjoy almost any historical mystery Steven Saylors Roma Sub Rosa series stood out … Really really really don’t like romance though.

• anonymous

January 6, 2014 at 2:19 pm

wanted Ben Whishaw to have a part in Bookthief, do not know whether I can watch the film remembering the scene where the father throws bread in the road for the prisoners. Who on earth will play Death???

• anonymous

January 7, 2014 at 9:34 pm

My favorite books are Jane Eyre and Rebecca. Right now I am reading The City of Bells by Kim Wright, have enjoyed all of her books in the series.

• anonymous

January 11, 2014 at 1:00 pm

overcoming depression By Paul Gilbert, simply because without it I would not be here!

• roseinbloom

January 26, 2014 at 10:42 am

I have read a lot of books and the best story I ever read was , Gone With The Wind, by Margaret Mitchell. This is about the American Civil War, and I read it when I was about 11 y.o. and it still is well remembered. I read anything and everything I could get my hands on when a child both fiction and nonfiction. I read mostly nonfiction now. I loved reading biographies and The Biography of Benjamin Franklin had his character improvement plan and I never have stopped trying to improve my character. Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan is a great book about how to get to stay on the right path in life. I have read so many books and I could never say one favorite.

• Anonymous

January 27, 2014 at 5:58 am

Even Silence Has An End, one great book that I couldnt put down. I like reading about strong people and how they overcome struggles,

• Anonymous

February 1, 2014 at 2:55 pm

It’s difficult to say what was the best book that I read, because everytime that I read a book, I considered it as the best. I personally find “Inés del alma mía”, by Isabel Allende, as the best book that I’ve ever read, is about the fight of incas against Spanish colonizers. The incas fought to preserve its culture, territory and rights. I really enjoyed it.

• maria

February 13, 2014 at 6:17 am

“The Shack” only because I have been having a hard time with religion verses the reality of life. This book really makes you stop and think; that’s a hard thing to do these days. Technology, modern medicine, people turning away from the one thing their parents held dear (the church). It is fiction, but it really makes you think. A book that makes you really think about your life and your beliefs is a book worth reading!

• lua

February 16, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I too find it difficult to pinpoint the best book I’ve ever read, but also really enjoyed INÉS DEL ALMA MIA/ INÉS OF MY SOUL by Isabel Allende – all her books are worth reading. Have just discovered A.M.Homes… Her books are extremely moving, at times disturbing, but all in all VERY good reads. As Daisy25 wrote, THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak is another excellent choice. Have just finished reading it for the second time… Am also wondering about the film – hope ‘they’ don’t ruin it! How about Jeremy Irons for ‘Death’?!

• Anonymous

February 24, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Les Miserables

• anonymous

March 9, 2014 at 12:59 am

My favorite go-to, pure escapist books for enjoyment are Jan Karon’s Mitford series. From the series, my very favorite is Shepherds Abiding. I listen to a lot of books on CD while driving to work, and I can’t listen to that one without shedding some tears each time I hear it because of the warmth and caring of that the characters in this small town have for one another. It’s a beautiful book about not rushing into Christmas before its appointed time.

• Anonymous

March 27, 2014 at 2:50 pm

The most compelling book I have read is The Shack. I just finished The Afterlife of Billy Fingers. I loved the Tao of Pooh. As far as authors I range from Robert Heinlein, Piers Anthony (excellent fun), but am more towards authors who challenge me to grow spiritually.

• anonymous

March 27, 2014 at 9:12 pm

I have always s loved to read,and at present I am reading books written by Danielle Steel she has written about a 100 novels and the range of stories are remarkable ,from the rise of a large store ,like Harrods to a girl brought up on a horse farm. So many stories I honestly can’t say that one was better then another

• Tibet

November 16, 2020 at 6:45 pm

Although I am not the most avid of readers, I have, nevertheless, read a considerable amount of literature to date. For me, one book stands above the rest for its immense wealth of well-researched and revealing information. The book is titled, ´The Great Pyramid Decoded´written by musician and author Peter LeMesurier.

Once read and fully digested, my personal feeling was to throw the rest of my private library out the window.

• JohnnyLegend

November 18, 2020 at 10:26 pm

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet has to be my all time favourite Read.

At the moment I am reading Dave McGowans ‘Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon’, which looks at the connection between the 60’s counterculture scene and Miltitary Intelligence…..

• aussiesteve

December 4, 2020 at 10:56 am

Too many to pick just one. “Human Traces” Sebastian Faulks; “Sunbird” Wibur Smith; Any Graham Greene; Isaac Asimov; Robert Harris; Len Deighton. I could go on!

• sandraatkins2

January 2, 2021 at 9:28 pm

My favourite books change all the time, depending on what I’ve been reading. I like Lionel Shriver’s books which all seem to be really topical. The Mandibles is one of the best, about a new depression era in the USA.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Chat Rooms

Request Friendships from Our Latest Chatters
Add a photo to your profile to be shown in our latest Chattters gallery

Latest Chatters

Click the X to close your Dashboard.  To relaunch navigate away from the page you’re on before clicking the link again