• Mega Bytes Per Second

• Anonymous

February 2, 2021 at 6:01 pm

M.B.P.S – Yes, an interesting subject in the world wide web based arena we live in these days.
    I have been talking to my son only today and he said , I need to get my Mega.Bytes.Per .Second checked by logging onto ‘ speedtest.net ‘ and check around my house to see if I was getting what I am paying for each month. Unlimited this and this speed and that speed is all very well if your getting it across your whole house.
    Once checked I soon found out the weak wif-fi areas in our home. Armed with this information I phoned my internet provider. Once looked into by them they agreed with my problem and to my surprise without any pressure from me arranged to send an engineer to my house next week.
    So, check what yours is and if like me you have some duff areas around your home, you know what to do next.
    Doc 1

• Tarquin

May 2, 2021 at 3:37 pm

WiFi speed is generally quoted in Mbps – mega-bits per second. The reason is simple – it’s a bigger number, so sounds better. If you use an online speed tester, eg, https://www.speedtest.net/, you’ll see your ping time in milliseconds (ms) and your upload and download speeds in Mbps. Now, here’s the thing: when you download a file, you often get a progress bar with the download speed beneath it. This is typically in MBps – mega-bytes per second – and will be a much smaller figure than you might have expected. A Byte is eight Bits, but sync, error correction and other overheads make the factor worse. So, if your download speed is, say, 30Mbps, don’t expect to download a file any faster than 3MBps. Eg, a 300MB file would take 100s or longer to download.

• tessa 

May 2, 2021 at 5:34 pm

and if you have comcast isp, they are more than likely throttling your speed and have been for some time. So you are paying for what you are NOT getting as far as speed. I’ve chosen to use a VPN to avoid being cheated by stupid comcast. Sad that this practice of theirs is totally legal.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Chat Rooms

Request Friendships from Our Latest Chatters
Add a photo to your profile to be shown in our latest Chattters gallery

Latest Chatters

Click the X to close your Dashboard.  To relaunch navigate away from the page you’re on before clicking the link again