• Mac or Windows ?

• Doc1

January 9, 2021 at 12:35 pm

I have stumbled on this forum and can’t believe the last discussion was 6 years ago ! Surely, I have missed
    something !
    So, time to add a new discussion
    Whats your fix ?
    Are you Windows or Mac ?
    Years ago I used to be Windows, never knew anything different but after having all sorts of problems with my ancient computer my wife said ” Why don’t you get yourself a Mac.” Back in 2012 its exactly what I did and I have never looked back. The difference was and still is so refreshing.
    I still have to trawl myself through Microsoft Windows in my place of work and as I am now a converted Mac user it is strange to use my computer at work.
    But I can’t wait to get home and sit in front of my trusty reliable Mac Desktop.

Come on all you PC users whats yours , or are you a Tablet and phone kind of person. ?

Regards Doc 1

• Rob

January 10, 2021 at 7:02 pm

Thanks Doc, so…. the reason for the ‘old’ date on some of the forum posts is that years ago SC did have forums, but due to resources at the time we opted to go with Groups instead. Fast forward today and the forums have been upgraded and reinstated, hence why some of the legacy posts are showing. Hopefully, more members will start using the forums too as it’s free and open to everyone on SC to enjoy.

Oh. and to answer your question. I’ve always used Windows on my PC/Laptop and Android on my phone. Haven’t got anything against Apple or Macs in general – just never felt the need to change.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Rob.
  • bob_deb

January 11, 2021 at 5:23 am

Hi Doc1,
    Like you I was dismayed to see the lack of discussion on this forum and I commend your initiative in kicking off a thread. I saw your Control Room photo and can appreciate the amount of Windows software you must have to contend with. I did a reply, a windows bashing session that would have made Bill Gates hopping mad, but through mis-operation on my part it did not make it onto the forum. In essence I lamented the fact that, ever since Win XP expired, it has been downhill all the way and Win10 has hit rock bottom. So disenchanted have I become that I procured two second hand laptops, stripped them both of Win 10 and loaded one with Win 7 (no longer supported) and one with Win 8 which I immediately upgraded to the superior Win 8.1. I am far more at home using those PC’s than I am with my two Win 10 desktop PC’s. In addition I acquired a freebie Dell D630 laptop (ex XP) and loaded it with Linux Mint. I can highly recommend Mint, it comes free of charge and is equal if not better than Win10. I have never experienced Mac, so cannot comment on it, but it does not surprise me one bit that you prefer it over windows. Will keep across the thread as I’m most interested in what others have to say. Very best regards – Bob Deb.

• Doc1

January 13, 2021 at 12:13 am

Hello bob _deb,
    Thanks for adding an interesting write up on your computer pursuits. Stripping down and re-building computers is a good knowledge to have. I admire you for doing that, now if it was one of sons doing the same thing I would accept like you he would know exactly what and how to go about it.
    I just about remember our very first computer being a Gateway computer with Windows 98 loaded on to it.
    I agree with you it all went fine until Windows XP for me and then , probaly through my own fault I kind of lost my way.
    Yes Windows dominates where I work, every bit of kit we use has Windows running it. But I’m O.K with it and its good to use Mac & Windows. Thanks Again for stopping by here and I look forward to bumping into you again.
    Kindest Regards Doc 1

• 5mintbreak

January 19, 2021 at 10:16 pm

Hi Doc,
    Had trouble working out how to respond/join in this discussion. I have joined groups and like all groups if chatters don’t contribute it dies out. I note there is a suggestion on HTLM tags and attributes which has appeared -,sorry I am dumb re these, it is ‘double dutch’ to me. However my thoughts on Windows or Mac.
    I spent eleven and half years in NZ and obtained a part time job which needed ability to use computer accounting, so hastily purchased a PC Windows and did a 6 week course Word Processor and Spread Sheet. On returning home to Australia, decided computer would not take kindly to being tossed around in shipping container so sold it. Time came to buy new computer and daughter suggested buy a Mac, schools at that time used them, they were much simpler to use, so I purchased a ‘moon’ model Imac and yes it was simpler, could do things with far less mouse clicks. More expensive yes, in those days much safer from hackers so I was impressed. Down side was Windows far more used in business world and I found a lot of things not compatible with macs. Updates were not that often so I was happy. However with the passing of Steve Job things have changed, the introduction of i-phone has seen Apple veer away from the so safe system Job had. Apple has linked all , computers, ipads, ibooks, iphone a feature I personally dont like. We all are different, I prefer to keep my phone just a phone, I don’t need all the bells and whistles it comes with, however for those who only have iphone it suits them. Another down side as far as I am concerned is apple-mac wants users to use Safari as the search engine. I prefer Firefox, once again personal preference. For all that I still am a mac fan, have imac desktop, old and newer ipad pro, and the iphone. Have found as with SC site few things are set out different, matter of working them out.

• bob_deb

January 19, 2021 at 11:37 pm

Hi 5mintbreak,
    I have been looking out for additional contributions to this thread and was pleased to see that someone has done so. Re the Senior Chatters facilities available to those who do not upgrade to premium membership, the Forums are still available to non premium chatters. I guess you have probably figured that out but mentioned it just in case you were not aware. The only chat room available to us is “Shoutbox” which should only be used to discuss any issues you may be having with SC. Whilst Windows is not my preferred OS, I rely upon a particular microsoft program (Microsoft Digital Imaging) for 90% of my computing activities. I probably should not have become so dependent upon it but I have using it since 2006, and it’s predecessor “Microsoft Picture-It” since 2003. MDI ticks all the boxes as far as I’m concerned and I have edited/enhanced something in the vicinity of 20,000 images over the last 17 years. Apart from that particular application, the rest of my computing is adequately catered for by Linux Mint. Like yourself I am dead set against the synchronising of multiple devices into one conglomerate. Windows 10 coerces the user to create a Microsoft Account during OS install which is the gateway to synchronisation. Only by employing subterfuge during the install process can the installer access the option to create a local account which is divorced from synchronisation. I’m also inclined to think that Win 10 is becoming little more than a conduit to microsoft’s commercial interests, in particular the Microsoft Store with it’s myriads of somewhat frivolous applications, purposely packaged to appear attractive to the uninitiated. Had my whinge, fell heaps better for it so will leave it at that.

• 5mintbreak

January 20, 2021 at 1:08 am

Thanks Bob-deb I have been a sc member since Nov ’16 was one of the admins for few years am no computer expert! far from it, just giving my opinion re mac v windows, I am very much in favour of macs and with last purchase ipad pro complete with pencil am finding the pencil great for my old arthritic fingers! just a light tap of pencil. My biggest beef with all system is the constant updating! to me it has become update or be left behind, things wont work. My personal opinion with all computer companies it has become a cash flow, we have to update regardless of cost, okay for them we are just the poor paying public.

• Doc1

January 23, 2021 at 1:31 am

Hello Fellow Contributors ,
    There are some very talented people out there when it comes to the inner workings of a computer and the systems it uses. From my original Mac or Windows question I think it comes down to individual likes and preferences.
    Windows does dominate the market and nowadays using Windows is much improved on those early days.
    From my viewpoint I do not see my desktop or tablet as a Computer.
    To me they are these days more of a Media interface where we can access the internet for all it has to offer and use a range of software which enables us to perform varied tasks depending on individual requirements and at the same allowing the storage of different types of media.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 21 hours ago by  Doc1.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Chat Rooms

Request Friendships from Our Latest Chatters
Add a photo to your profile to be shown in our latest Chattters gallery

Latest Chatters

Click the X to close your Dashboard.  To relaunch navigate away from the page you’re on before clicking the link again